THURSDAY-APRIL 29, 2021 – 4:00 PM – BAARC BOARD MEETING MINUTES – BRAINERD FIRE STATION
President: Steve Mott NØCRM
Vice President: Terry May KIØFW
Treasurer: Doug Bergsnev WØDWB
Secretary: Ron Finger KØGOP
Past Presidents: Charles Lane W5CCL, Al Doree WØRC
Director At Large: Lyle Amundson KØLFV
Director of Emergency Communications: John Luce WØWY
Repeater Trustee: Mitch Ahrenstorff ADØHJ
Community & Special Events Coordinator: Mark Cross KEØLFQ
Attendees: Lyle KØLFV, Terry KIØFW, Ron KØGOP, John WØWY, Al WØRC, Charles W5CCL, and Mark KEØLFQ.
The Vice President opened the Board Meeting at 4:07 PM.
- Membership roster: 85 members with 56 paid for 2021 (as of membership meeting close) We welcome new Club member, Andy Stevens KFØACS.
- Minutes: The last posted Club Minutes before the Covid-19 suspension were for the February 2020 meetings. At the membership meeting, Doug discussed these in detail and noted the membership renewals, income and expenses over the first 4 months of 2021.
- Website: Web graphics updated periodically during the Covid-19 suspension included 2020 Tailgate Hamfest, Fall Antenna Work, Christmas 2020, Winter Ops, and 2021 SKYWARN Training.
- Correspondence: Club thank you letters were sent for donations received from Jerry Morse KB0NKH (January), and Eldon Reeves WØMQO Family (4/2021). A thank you letter was also provided to accompany a $250 donation to Gary Doucette, Crow Wing County Fair Association for use of the Crow Wing County Fairgrounds (3/2021).
- Club membership roster and Gmail recipient list were periodically updated to current status.
- The Treasurer sent his report to the board showing all month’s account transactions and balances to date. At the Membership Meeting Doug reviewed membership renewals, income and expenses over the 4 month period of 2021. All bills are current and paid.
Membership Meeting Programs:
- The Vice President reviewed the April Club program.
Digital and Emergency Communications:
- John WØWY reported on the following:
- CWC EOC: Per John Bowen, CWC ES, the new EOC facility is still in progress and our Club operating area is yet to be determined. Grant funds are reportedly available for antenna cabling when they are ready for our relocation at the new facility.
- SKYWARN: Severe WX awareness drill VHF net called during the siren testing with several operators checking in. New protocols were distributed to the Club with changes primarily in how we contact the NWS. They are moving away from having an amateur radio station and operator onsite. Future reporting to the NWS from net control stations or individual operators can be made by phone or through their new online chat room.
- Al reported on the upcoming Armed Forces Day (AFD) Cross-Band Test, Friday and Saturday, May 7 – 8, in recognition of Armed Forces Day on May 15. The event is open to all radio amateurs The schedule of military/government stations taking part in the Test and information on the AFD message is available on the MARS website.
- Lyle KØLFV discussed our Repeater Trustee position, and Mitch ADØHJs relocation out of the Brainerd area. Mitch has been a wonderful asset to the Club and we are looking for someone to fill this position with a technical skillset. Work remains for the completion of the Gull Lake repeater site, and it is hoped Mitch may be able to come up for a return visit to finish this summer.Upcoming BAARC Events
- 2021 Field Day: Lyle KØLFV discussed possible Club Field Day activities at the CWC Fairgrounds this year. With several expressing interest in resuming this yearly event, he will make arrangements to use the site.
- With warmer weather approaching, Lyle suggested we occasionally meet for a brown-bag breakfast at Lum Park on Saturday morning in lieu of our former semi-monthly restaurant breakfast meetings.
- Tailgate Hamfest: This outdoor event has proved a good option to sustain Club income from sales of donated equipment. We will again plan to host this at the CWC Fairgrounds in August.
- Generator purchase: The Board had previously approved and selected a new, more powerful generator for purchase and use during Club activities. It was discussed and decided to wait till we get a little closer to the next Club event which is Field Day at the end of June.
- 2021 Club Officer election: The November 2021 elections were postponed due to the Covid-19 suspension, and the current Officers and Executive Board agreed to continue until the next election could be held. Since our Club Bylaws direct us to hold an annual election in November, we will hold that at the November membership meeting.
- Storage Container Work Day: Lyle reported that the Club storage container on the Brainerd Fire Department grounds needs to be reorganized with the high-quality shelving donated by Mitch ADØHJ. This will require removing the inventory of items and selecting surplus which could be sold or given to members. It was decided that just prior to the August Tailgate Hamfest would be the best time to do this.
- Storage Container site cleanup: Terry KIØFW suggested we offer to do some cleanup of noxious weeds surrounding the container area behind the BFD equipment building.
- Executive Board Meeting time: Ron KØGOP proposed a later meeting time in the immediate future. The 4PM time allowed time for a group meal but with restaurants closed there is a big gap until the 7PM Membership Meeting. It was agreed we will meet at 5:30PM for the May Board Meeting.
The Board Meeting was adjourned at 4:52 PM.
THURSDAY-APRIL 29, 2021 – 7:00 PM – BAARC MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES – BRAINERD FIRE STATION
At this first Membership Meeting since the Covid-19 suspension in March 2020, 21 members and guests enjoyed several interesting presentations by members:
Tom KDØMOM Discussing DX and Cycle 25
John WØWY Portable Power Supply Project
Ron KØGOP Building a Solder Filter Fan
Mark KEØLFQ Go Bag
Lyle KØLFV Xiegu G90 SDR HF Transceiver (low cost transceiver)
—Respectfully submitted by Ron KØGOP, Secretary