THURSDAY-MARCH 29, 2018 – 4:00 PM -?BAARC BOARD MEETING MINUTES?- BRAINERD FIRE DEPARTMENT
President:?Steve Mott N?CRM
Vice President:?John Luce W?WY
Treasurer:?Doug Bergsnev W?DWB
Secretary:?Ron Finger K?GOP
Past Presidents:?Charles Lane W5CCL, Al Doree W?RC
Director At Large:?Lyle Amundson K?LFV
Director of Emergency Communications:?Dave Schuldheisz K?ISZ
Repeater Trustee:?Mitch Ahrenstorff AD?HJ
Community Events Coordinator:?Mark Cross KE?LFQ
Attendees:?Steve N?CRM, John W?WY, Lyle K?LFV, Doug W?DWB, Ron K?GOP, Al W?RC, Shirley K?DCW, Dave K?ISZ, Charles W5CCL, Roger W?WUG, Mark KE?LFQ and Mitch AD?HJ. The President opened the Board Meeting at 4 PM.
- Membership roster: 71 members with 11 unpaid for 2018. The Club roster can be found on the Club website under the?Resources/Members Only?? Current paid members can request an individual password for access via the??Contact Us??form.
- Minutes: The February 2018 meeting minutes were posted to the?Baarcer??area of the Club website.
- Correspondence: None
- Documents: Updated Club membership roster and Gmail contacts database. Final Draft of Community & Special Events Coordinator position. Fire department and Crow Wing County Fair Board plaques drafted for review.
- Membership ID’s: 3 New Club ID badges made. Will develop 1-year ?Complimentary Membership? card for new Hams.
- Motion to accept: Charles W5CCL, SecondAl W?RC,??
Treasurer?s Report:?The President presented the Treasurer?s report that was forwarded to the board showing all month?s account transactions and balances to date.
- Motion to accept: John W?WY, SecondAl W?RC,?Passed
Membership Meeting Programs:?The President reviewed recent and future Club programs and events. April 26 meeting: Paul KE?PBR will present a program on Satellite UHF/VHF Communications.
Upcoming Events:?The following events were discussed:
CQ WPX SSB Contest March 24-25, 2018
- Need to find a location if we do choose to do this.
BAARC Hamfest April 7, 2018
- $400.00 usage fee for Brainerd Armory
Brainerd Jaycees Run for the Lakes Marathon
- Saturday, April 28, 2018
- John W?WY will arrange for use of CWC Sherriff?s Trailer
BAARC Spring Dinner May 24, 2018
- Nisswa Legion ? Prairie Bay to do catering.
- Still need a program speaker
Digital & Emergency Communications:?
Duluth SKYWARN meeting:
- Duluth Skywarn meeting update
- Severe weather awareness information
- Al, John, Terry, and emergency coordinators met in Duluth
- Schedule of April 12 test watch
- 1:30PM Test Net Weather Net 147.225
- Updated Form to give to club members
- Gull Lake:
- No new items; waiting for WX.
- 444.925 DARC room setup for a persistent connection.
- Crow Wing Power:
- Computer/controller down.
- Cross Lake:
- No new items.
- High-rise Site:
- No new items.
Roger W?WUG expressed connectivity lapses in the Brainerd area on the 147.225 repeater location in Crosby. Near-future plans to link Club repeaters were discussed as a solution.
- Becky KD?HDH has identified possible fundraising opportunities and is willing to help develop those with the Club.
American Red Cross
- Following a request at the February Board Meeting by Ken Vertin KE?LOX, an ARC volunteer from Crosslake, no further correspondence or developments have occurred. Mr. Vertin had discussed the current MOU between the ARC and ARRL, and various scenarios of possible involvement.
- The Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Emergency Management Department has allowed us to use their Active 911 E-Paging Alert System to alert us of Skywarn events or other needs.
- Need to reestablish and review our Club status using this system.
- John Bowen to resolve.
Upgrade Club IC-746 HF Transceiver to a second TS-590S
- Completed by Lyle K?LFV
Community Events Coordinator position description
- Position title will be modified to ?Community Events Coordinator?, from previous ?Community and Special Events Coordinator?
- The BAARC Amended Bylaws 2001 should be amended again to reflect this title change along with the following position description:
- The Community Events Coordinator will oversee Club support of regularly scheduled community events over the calendar year. These Club events may be organized and led by other Club members; the Coordinator will prepare and ensure that ?someone? is prepared to chair a specific event and that they have the support they need to run that event, smoothly and orderly, for the Club and host.
- A secondary responsibility for this position is to seek out new avenues to promote our Club and the Amateur Radio hobby through different opportunities within the Brainerd area community.
- Motion to accept: Steve N?CRM, SecondDoug W?DWB,?Passed
Add second 2m antenna to CWC Sheriff?s Trailer
- John Bowen has approved; will use their installer
- Need to provide an NMO mount w/ 20? of coax, Lyle will order
Purchase suitcase rack for donated Tektronix test equipment
- Ron K?GOP donating TM500 test equipment modules to Club for member use.
- TM515 is suitcase-style system for safe transport and field use. A new unit is available on ebay for $160, will make lower offer first.
- Motion to purchase: Dave K?ISZ, SecondCharles W5CCL,?Passed
Possible Portable Repeater Site at future Remer Fire Station
- Al and John discussed the possibility of obtaining permission to install an antenna, coax and power at the new Fire Station site in Remer, MN.
- This would allow for setting up a temporary portable Club repeater for use during Club-staffed events like the Mid-MN 150 Sled Dog Race and SKYWARN.
- Brainerd Fire Chief Tim Holmes will contact the Remer FD as an introduction.
The Board Meeting was adjourned at 5:10 PM.
THURSDAY-MARCH 29, 2018 – 7:00 PM -?BAARC MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES?- BRAINERD FIRE DEPARTMENT
The President opened the Club membership business meeting at 7 PM with 36 members and guests present. Crow Wing County Emergency Management Director, John Bowen gave a presentation on the new facilities nearing completion at the CWC EOC, and the Public Safety use of tactical drones. Several officers and deputies were present for outdoor demonstrations and tours of the EOC.?Ron K?GOP, Secretary